[Talk-us] Oklahoma disaster mapping

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Wed May 22 03:46:28 UTC 2013

Paul,

I would like to help , but I need some guidance.  I assume we don't want to
map what existed before the disaster (what currently shows up on Bing
Imagery).  However, I see that some people are tracing buildings that they
believe survived.  Are we supposed to map the current situation?  If so,
given the near impossibility of a ground survey, and no current imagery
(forgive me if I missed an earlier message), how are we supposed to map?
 From news reports?  Given that the current situation is some what
transient (roads will be reopened, homes will be rebuilt, etc), do we
really want to map the exact current conditions?

I am not trying to be difficult, just want to make a positive contribution,
and not do something that someone else will have to spend effort to undo.

Thanks,

Mike