[Talk-us] Separate relations for each direction of US & State highways.

James Mast rickmastfan67 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 22 10:39:17 UTC 2013

Talk-us at openstreetmap.org

However Chris, there is a pretty big problem that JOSM has with cardinal directions, and it has to do with the relation analysis.  We need JOSM to be able to split the "lines" with cardinal roles when looking at a relation just like how it does it currently with the roles "forward/backward" [1].   That would be a major step forward it making sure relations have no gaps if/when we fully go cardinal from forward/backward.

If you want to see an example, download US-30's WV relation [2] into JOSM and change the cardinal roles all back to "forward".  You can then see the value of those splits in relation analysis inside of JOSM that the roles forward/backward have in making sure the relation has no gaps.

-James

[1] - https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/5109#comment:18
[2] - http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/1593699