[Talk-us] Currently available good GPS for use with OSM mapping in the USA?

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 13:33:00 UTC 2013

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 16:52:28 -0500
> From: Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com>
> Cc: OSM Talk-US List <talk-us at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Currently available good GPS for use with OSM
>         mapping in the USA?
>
> I've used two eTrex GPS units (an old one and a relatively new one), a
> Columbus v900 (the voice recorder that Russ mentioned), and I've used
> OSMTracker for Android.
>
> The v900 is super cool, and cheap, but my experience with it was that
> it took forever to lock in, and when it did- it was pretty inaccurate-
> blocks off. And after about two years, it just stopped working.
>
> The eTrex units are pretty nice. They're very accurate, they have
> amazing battery life, and are really rugged. But they have a pretty
> awful interface.
>
> I also have used an old etrex HCx and a new etrex 20. Both are good at the
job. Battery life is good (full day with rechargeable batteries at 1 sec
sampling). Resolution is good (down to 1 meter with good satellite
visibility), especially with the newer model. Position reproducibility is
also good (down to 2 meters with the etrex 20). They work for hours under
pouring rain. Apart from the well-known user-unfriendlyness of Garmin
products, the only fly in the ointment is that the newer unit occasionally
produces corrupt files - they are still perfect ASCII files, but the syntax
is not correct. Normally such files are easily repairable by hand - not
sure if it's a dodgy unit or a general problem.
OSM maps in the US are of different levels of quality. When I last mapped
on the CA west coast (Big Sur, where else?) I noted loads of non-existing
roads still there from the old Tiger import.

Volker (Italy)