[Talk-us] Separate relations for each direction of US & State highways.

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Tue Nov 26 18:58:31 UTC 2013

There is some discussion going on over on the wiki page I created on
this topic: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Highway_Directions_In_The_United_States
Mostly dealing with how to prevent redundant relations where the
numbered route is a bidirectional road (i.e. there are no separate OSM
ways for the opposite travel directions.)

One idea I think is perhaps the most promising is to have the ways
forming a bidirectional stretch of the route all point in the same
direction and tag the member roles so they correspond to the direction
of the ways. I have done this here for US 6 in Utah as an example:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/19131911 where I
reversed the bidirectional stretches where appropriate so all of them
point in the same direction. I then added 'west' as the member role
for all these stretches, and added 'east' and 'west' member roles as
appropriate for the unidirectional / oneway stretches.
Let me know what you think.

By the way, doing this for a big relation like this one, really
convinced me that we need at least the cardinal support for JOSM that
James mentioned. Better, more intuitive relation editing tools in
general in the longer run.

Martijn

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 6:14 AM, James Mast <rickmastfan67 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> So, nobody has a comment on my idea (from the 22nd) of getting JOSM to show
> north/south or east/west splits in the relation editor to be displayed the
> same way as the forward/backward gets shown already?  I would try to do some
> coding to allow that to happen in JOSM, but I don't know how to code in
> Java.
>
> -James

Martijn van Exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com/