[Talk-us] Completing the Appalachian Trail relation

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Wed Nov 27 19:16:33 UTC 2013

On 11/27/13 2:03 PM, Richard Welty wrote:
> On 11/27/13 12:11 PM, Adam Schreiber wrote:
>> There used to be a shelters/springs data set that would probably be
>> useful to include.
>>
> i saw that set, it's on the same download page, along with a parking
> area set. i figured it could wait until the trail proper was complete.

... and we should not do a mechanical import of any of this data. we
want to bring it in manually and do a proper validation step/sanity
check on everything. i suspect it's as accurate as anything that
is mapped on foot with a handheld GPS but there's a fair chance of
duplication of already collected info, so it all needs to be looked at
(is it visible in bing imagery? is it already mapped? and so forth...)

richard
   (i'm on the US import committee, i'm supposed to say this sort of thing)