[Talk-us] Separate relations for each direction of US & State highways.

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Sat Nov 30 14:34:47 UTC 2013

> 2013/11/30 Peter Davies <peter.davies at crc-corp.com
> <mailto:peter.davies at crc-corp.com>>
>
>     So we have way ref I 394 instead of I 394;US 12.  For my
>     applications I'd prefer it said I 394;US 12, because we need to
>     track the overlaps (which we and our 10 state DOT customers call
>     double banding).  But if you also want to suppress shields from
>     maps in such areas, could we enter the way ref as I 394;US
>     12|unsigned  ?
>

> Usually you would have (at least) 2 relations, one for each ref. The
> way ref (if set at all) will often have multiple values, semicolon
> separated. Not sure if you have a different agreement in the US, but
> it doesn't matter if the ref is signed or not, as long as you can find
> it in some kind of publicly available documentation (with compatible
> licensing).
in the US, we've been trying to use unsigned_ref= for situations where
the road
has a designation but no signage. County routes in Westchester and
Onondaga Counties
in NY are examples of this. additionally, many of the highways in the
NYS parkway
system have public designations like "Taconic State Parkway" but they
also have
unsigned reference numbers in the state inventory, so ref=TSP combined with
unsigned_ref=<inventory number> is the way we've been going.

richard