[Talk-us] Question about incorrect data for an administrative area

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon Oct 14 19:58:09 UTC 2013

On 10/14/13 1:13 PM, Jay Boyer wrote:

> I have been looking at the OSM data for Las Vegas and there are some
> serious problems for it.  The OSM boundary for Las Vegas encompasses
> about half of the city.  Certain areas of Las Vegas, including
> Paradise, Enterprise, Spring Valley and probably others are not within
> the city boundaries defined in OSM.  To fix this I need to expand the
> Las Vegas boundaries to encompass of these sections.  I have been
> looking and cannot find a way to do this efficiently.  Does anybody
> know of a way (aside from doing this manually) of expanding  and area
> to encompass another?

i suggest you look at the TIGER 2013 places file for Nevada and see what
the border is there; you may want to drop the current border and use the
latest TIGER border.

you can grab the 2013 places files here:

http://forever.codeforamerica.org/Census-API/shutdown-2013.html

if you need help getting the boundary polygon out of the shapefile, let
me know, i can give you a process for that.

richard