[Talk-us] US Bicycle Route mapping projects

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Mon Oct 21 18:49:27 UTC 2013

Great to see progress on this, kudos to you and Steve both for
investing all that time in this great project! (I am saying this as an
OSM contributor as well as an ACA member and planner of a long
distance bike trip)

Would it be possible to turn this around and have ACA members that
know these routes intimately to maintain these routes in OSM
themselves, and have experienced OSM mappers mentor them? Or perhaps
that is exactly what you're suggesting? Thinking out loud we could do
a Google hangout or similar where interested folks (either ACA or OSM)
could be introduced to the intricacies of long distance bike route
mapping.

Let me know if and how I can assist.
Martijn

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 5:40 PM, KerryIrons <irons54vortex at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> OSM mappers:
>
> As you may know from past discussions there is a developing US Bicycle Route system and there are a number of projects underway at the state level to develop and designate USBRs.  Those project teams are at various stages of development but may be interested in partnering with one or more OSM mappers to get their proposed or approved routes into the OSM data base.
>
> Steve All and I found similar work to be a fruitful collaboration together, and I look forward to doing that again multiplied many times at the statewide level.  Steve has developed a high level of expertise on USBR mapping and has wiki pages to explain the process AND we have good examples (of well-tagged routes) at the national and state levels.  He is happy to be a reference available to answer syntax/tagging/technical questions about OSM itself that are specific to bicycle route mapping.
>
> Here is the list of current or incipient USBR projects where involvement from OSM mappers could be helpful to the project effort.
>
> Alabama, USBR 90 and perhaps USBR 23
> Arkansas, USBR 80 and USBR 51
> California, USBR 66
> Indiana, USBR 35, USBR 50
> Louisiana, USBR 90
> Maryland, USBR 50
> Mississippi, USBR 90, USBR 25/35 (Natchez Trace)
> Nevada, USBR 50
> New Mexico, USBR 66
> Ohio, USBR 50
> Oklahoma, USBR 66
> Tennessee, USBR 23
> Virginia, USBR 11
> Washington, USBR 10
> Wisconsin, USBR 30
> Wyoming, USBR 76
>
> If you are interested in helping one or more of these project teams, please let me know and I will introduce you to the appropriate state level USBR folks.
>

> Kerry Irons
> Adventure Cycling Association

Martijn van Exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com/