[Talk-us] Tagging Closed Roads

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Tue Sep 17 05:02:44 UTC 2013

I suggest tags highway=proposed and/or highway=construction tags can
be used, depending on what you know and/or see (in that order).

If a section of washed-out road is an "island" that cannot be gotten
to, it might properly be tagged access=no.  Ditto for roads that are
still physically extant, but have been essentially "condemned" by,
say a municipality, county road department or state DOT.

In other words, OSM can excel here at exceedingly accurately
describing the state of the road network, right down to any
granularity or level of detail, whether still there and open, still
there but closed, gone but going to be rebuilt, or actually being
rebuilt.  There are other combinations, I'm sure:  tag appropriately!

SteveA
California