[Talk-us] Road abbreviations

Kam, Kristen kristenk at telenav.com
Wed Aug 6 21:01:13 UTC 2014

Afternoon,

I concur with Toby+Clifford.

I had a discussion with a coworker about road name abbreviations in OSM.  He came across an existing OSM wiki page that contains a lookup table that maps the full word (street type or general place) to an abbreviation (mostly USPS):

·         http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Name_finder:Abbreviations#English

Additionally, the USPS publishes their official abbreviations:

·         https://www.usps.com/send/official-abbreviations.htm

These accepted and documented abbreviation practices can be used by end-users when processing the OSM data for display purposes.

Best,

Kristen

---
Kristen Kam