[Talk-us] Road abbreviations

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Wed Aug 6 21:18:47 UTC 2014

Kristen Kam writes:
>I concur with Toby+Clifford.
>These accepted and documented abbreviation practices can be used by
>end-users when processing the OSM data for display purposes.

This is yet another example of how OSM, its data, its users and
especially its future are well-served by:

Appropriate front-end DATA (tags, usually conscientiously and
eventually well-structured if not well-designed in the first place),

PLUS,

appropriate back-end LOGIC, whether that is a map renderer, parser,
shield renderer, abbreviation generator, reverse geocoder...whatever,
but usually code of some sort.

As we keep up the good work of identifying places where that boundary
is both noted and implemented, we continue to build an excellent and
extensible future into our project.

SteveA
California