[Talk-us] Field Papers web app source code hosted at GitHub currently subject to DMCA takedown and not accessible

Joseph R. Justice jayarejay at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 02:01:43 UTC 2014

[Intentionally posted to both talk@ and talk-us at .  -- J]

I just now happened to try to access my personal fork of the repository for
the source code for the Field Papers (http://fieldpapers.org/) web app site
(said repository of source code can usually be found at
https://github.com/stamen/fieldpapers), only to find that the fork was
currently not accessible due to a DMCA takedown, apparently related to the
presence of font data originally created by Monotype Corporation and/or
related companies and organizations.

Because of this DMCA takedown, the master repository of the source for
Field Papers, my personal fork of it, and the repository for the source of
the software Field Papers was derived from are all currently inaccessible
at GitHub.  (Many other things unrelated to Field Papers or OSM in general
are also being affected by this.)

Information about the DMCA takedown and what is affected by it, and what
the takedown is complaining about, can be found at
https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/master/2014-08-27-Monotype-Imaging.md .

Does Stamen Design (as the organization responsible for creating and
presumably maintaining the Field Papers web app at http://fieldpapers.org/
and the software behind the web app) know about this yet?  Are they doing
something about it?  I wouldn't be surprised if the DMCA takedown is
extended to the web app site itself at some point, if something isn't done
about this.

I have taken the liberty of CCing Stamen Design at info at stamen.com with
this letter, to make sure they are aware of what's going on (especially if
they are not yet aware of it).

Thank you for giving me a moment of your time.  I hope you find this of
some use, interest.  I look forward to learning more about this situation
as it develops and is (hopefully) resolved in a desirable fashion in the
near future.

Joseph

PS: I still cannot access my own attempt at an account at the Field Papers
web app site, but that's not relevant to the issue here.  If I ever get off
my lazy butt and write some patches to their code for the site to fix this
sort of thing (which is why I'd created a fork in the first place), then
I'd be able to get at my account w/o needing them to do something.