[Talk-us] Dirt Roads (formerly: Abandoned railway)

Russell Deffner russell.deffner at hotosm.org
Sat Aug 30 20:52:53 UTC 2014

Um, you lost me Paul J

Back to the original point that drew me into the conversation – I do not agree with switching every road that has surface=dirt to highway=track.  Using highway=track with tracktype=* would not fully describe the significance of roads around here because there are some ‘residential’ roads – those being roads that only have the function of reaching residences – that get washed out, are very steep, etc. and would probably earn a higher grade than some of the 4WD/OHV ‘tracks’ in the National Forest around here – those being roads only used for recreation or timber harvesting, but sometimes are very smooth and easy to travel.

In conclusion, I don’t think any one feature (surface, smoothness, tracktype, lanes, speed, etc.) can be used to define or redefine the importance/significance of a road and sometimes only local knowledge can tell you that.

Happy Mapping!