[Talk-us] Dirt Roads (formerly: Abandoned railway)

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Sun Aug 31 21:13:51 UTC 2014

On 8/31/14 1:03 PM, Tod Fitch wrote:
> +1 to this. While mapping areas near my folks where I grew up there
> are lots of dirt roads and there are lots of tracks and they are
> different.
>
> In that area, in my opinion, a dirt road will have regular maintenance
> sufficient for passage by a family car and, generally but not always,
> be wide enough for two vehicles to pass each other in all places. A
> track will typically be unmaintained and only be wide enough for one
> vehicle (though on a satellite view it could be tough to tell width as
> often they appear wider when people extend the width to get around
> wash outs or rough spots).

agreed. i have spent quite a lot of time in Iowa farming territory
where the road grid consists mostly of high quality, well maintained
gravel roads that are in regular, heavy use by farm equipment. i
generally give these highway=unclassified, surface=gravel.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search