[Talk-us] Rail westerly

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Sun Dec 21 10:58:18 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-20 18:59, Natfoot wrote:
> Steve,
> If you are finding PCIX those are the call letters for the railroad that
> is the owner, they may also be the operator.
>
> Now here is the tricky bit, I will use the example of a local short line
> railroad.
>
> This railroad the property is owned by the county and the port; one
> railroad (GNPX) has the operating rights who then contracts with a
> second company that is a railroad (BDTL) yet the line in which they are
> running is known as another railroad (ESFR).
>
> If any of you can sort this out into the proper categories I think it
> will help a few many people.

I'm also trying to get my head around a slightly simpler case. The
Cincinnati Southern Railway [1] is owned by the City of Cincinnati and
leased out to the Cincinnati, New Orleans & Texas Pacific Railway
(CNTP), a subsidiary of Norfolk Southern (NS).

The relations -- one for each subdivision [2][3][4] -- don't indicate
their ownership by the city anywhere. (`name` contains "CNO&TP" and
`operator=NS`.) It sounds like I would just need to add `owner=City of
Cincinnati` to the relations. Would that be correct, or would the lessee
go in `owner`?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Southern_Railway
[2] http://osm.org/relation/2250839
[3] http://osm.org/relation/2250840