[Talk-us] importing zip codes

Dale Puch dale.puch at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 07:04:44 UTC 2014

Also the USPS can change zip codes as they see fit.  It is USPS carrier
delivery routes, not a public database.  This may not effect the 5 digit
zip often, but it could.

I don't know of any way to handle it without licensing Zip codes form USPS
with continual updates.  Or just use the ZCTA's with the knowledge that
there will be errors to fix manually.  Call it ZTCA and not ZIP as well.
That still gives at least 90% of the country zip data.

If local datasets include zip's based on parcels, that would probably be a
better choice but is still subject to USPS changes...

Dale Puch