[Talk-us] importing zip codes

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Sun Feb 23 21:24:31 UTC 2014

>Missed that the first skim through as I was intent on seeing about
>restrictions on automated requests.
>
>Odd that something like a postal code needs permission from the
>postal service to reproduce, republish, etc.

Hello Tod:

This (import) vetting process includes the important question (by we,
OSM, via these pages, amongst ourselves...) of "Do these data make
OSM more valuable?"  (Or something close to that which might blur a
bit amongst us, but that basic idea.)

There have been many reasons offered why an answer seems a relatively
clear No.  I'm not sure what listens on the other side of those data
offering any syntax to stick to.  I mean, do people query OSM
usefully for ZIP/census/mash data?  I think not; no such
data-query-render chain exists to my knowledge.  Now, I don't wish to
quash good ideas.  I do wish to see OSM continue to be better
"polished" with high quality data.  Partly based on its usefulness of
what it does now, partly based on leaving it blue sky for a wonderful
future.  It can be difficult to walk between brittle and flexible,
but we must do our best.

Besides, ZIP codes ("zone, improvement, plan" might be lower case but
the acronym is not) are not required for USPS delivery.  Ask them.
Or you might sent non-domestic.  Ask how.  Many people do not live in
or receive mail a Buck Act created federal zone.  Though millions do.
Are you considering OSM being helpful to those people receiving
postal mail?  That's a valid question, and you'd just be at the data
entry point afterwards.  I still don't know what any syntax or
queries or renderings or address matching or what lives on the other
side of those data.

I don't wish to be harsh with my tone or the reality of the answers
that have emerged:  they are what they are.  Accordingly, I wish you
good day, and remind all of us that OSM intends to be a friendly,
listening place.  And sometimes the answer is "not really, no."

SteveA
California