[Talk-us] new geocoder

Randy Meech randy.meech at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 14:47:41 UTC 2014

I'm working on an app that requires a forward geocoder with
autocomplete, so I've been experimenting with putting OSM data (US
only for now) into Elasticsearch. There's still a lot to do, but it's
ready to play with, so I figured I'd share the demo:
http://mapzen.com/pelias/

This uses Quattroshapes & Geonames for the admin hierarchy. OSM
streets, addresses, and POIs get reverse geocoded into the hierarchy.

There are three endpoints which we'd like to make widely available in
the future, but for now these are for testing only & might
break/change/vanish at any moment:

Suggestions (works pretty well)
http://api-pelias-test.mapzen.com/suggest?query=brook

Reverse (works okay)
http://api-pelias-test.mapzen.com/reverse?lat=40.68685&lng=-73.9885

Search (needs work!)
http://api-pelias-test.mapzen.com/search?query=1369%20coffee%20house%20cambridge

Would love feedback, suggestions, help, etc!

-Randy