[Talk-us] Tagging cycleways with cycle_network

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Mon Jul 21 20:01:54 UTC 2014

>On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 2:17 AM, Minh Nguyen
><<mailto:minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us>minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us>
>wrote:
><http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycle_network>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycle_network
><http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/cycle_network#values>http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/cycle_network#values
>
>Paul Johnson replied:
>Nice!  OK, so apparently I'm not the first person to think this.
> Also explains why a vast majority of cycleways, particularly in the
>areas that taginfo suggests have migrated, aren't rendering on the
>cyclemap layer.  Wonder if we can get Andy Allen to update the style
>to make use of this scheme.

Paul, I don't know what you mean by "a vast majority of
cycleways...aren't rendering on the cyclemap layer."  As long as a
route relation is tagged as is documented in numerous places in our
wiki, i.e. with a minimum of type=route, route=bicycle, network=[lcn,
rcn, ncn] and ref= (1, 2 or 3 alphanumerics), OCM renders it as dark
blue, turquoise or red (respectively), and "badges" it with ref in a
rectangular shield.

I wouldn't hold your breath that Andy will change OCM to accommodate
cycle_network values so these become special shields (a la
aperiodic/Mapquest Open); without wishing to put words into his
mouth, I feel confident he very likely will not do that in any
near-term future.  But, "laying data groundwork" is important.

So, I do agree it is a good idea to correctly tag these routes with
the data and scheme that Minh points you to (this bicycle-specific
syntax mimics Interstate, US and state highway networks), as it may
very well get "picked up" by a renderer style at some point in the
future.  But in Cycle Map layer, and soon?  Likely not.  Andy, if you
are reading this, I encourage you to chime in with any clarification
of your intentions.

You may also wish to compare and contrast what Sarah Hoffmann's
"Lonvia" bike route renderer does with OSM bicycle route data:
http://cycling.waymarkedtrails.org/en/?zoom=4&lat=41&lon=-79&hill=1#routes
.  One major difference between the two is that while Andy's Cycle
Map layer (OCM) displays proposed routes, Lonvia does not.  Also, the
Lonvia renderer uses mapnik/Standard as a "backdrop:"  the
translucency of this layer can be adjusted with a slider control, as
can a hillshading layer, whereas Andy's OCM uses a more customized
style without user controls, has "fixed" elevation/contour lines and
displays bicycle-specific amenities (such as bike parking, bike
shops, water stations, pubs, toilets, crossings, et cetera).
However, neither of these two renderers actually parses cycle_network
tags (yet).  Maybe, someday, but today, no.

I encourage these tags (and yes, taginfo does show them to be both
growing in number and becoming more correct) where they are known and
able to be correctly entered into OSM.  Lay data groundwork!

SteveA
California