[Talk-us] USBRS WikiProject seeks volunteer mappers

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Sun Jun 1 17:46:38 UTC 2014

Martijn van Exel wrote:
> I would love to see these routes in OSM, and I think it's a shame
> that there is such an ongoing fuss about it.

May I gently offer some experience from n years of both mapping and
developing National Cycle Network routes in the UK. (As well as being an
OSMer I'm a regional group co-ordinator for Sustrans, the organisation that
looks after and develops the NCN.)

Generally in the UK we only map proposed NCN routes when
   a) we have some personal knowledge of them, and
   b) the route has a serious likelihood of being signposted in the next
couple of years

For example, I was happy to map NCN 442, our new route across the Cotswolds,
as "proposed" because I knew very well that it was likely to open before
long - not least because largely I identified the alignment and bid for the
funding for it! And indeed it's now signposted and open:
http://www.sustrans.org.uk/news/prime-minister-opens-new-section-national-cycle-network

However, there are other proposed routes in the local area where there is no
particular action underway at present to find funding or to fix issues
identified with the route. For example, NCN 536 is a proposed route from
Banbury (part of my patch) to Northampton, but: no funding has been
identified, some physical works will be required before it can open, and the
"flow" isn't currently deemed a priority. It's very unlikely indeed to open
in the next two years, and consequently it isn't mapped on OSM.

On occasion, mapping a proposed route can be actively dangerous and
misleading. Sometimes a proposed NCN route will follow a busy road or rough
terrain, or cross private land; fixing this will be one of the "to-dos"
before the route can be opened. Showing it on a map, even as a dotted line,
can encourage cyclists to venture into unsuitable conditions. (Yes, in
theory "caveat emptor", but I have encountered people who have been misled
by such proposed routes showing on a map.)

Obviously you'll make your own decisions, but I'd encourage you to follow
similar principles for the USBRS project. Or in summary: OSM can be a little
way ahead of reality... but not too far ahead.

cheers
Richard
(making a rare break from my not-posting-on-mailing-lists rule)