[Talk-us] USBRS WikiProject seeks volunteer mappers

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Sun Jun 1 18:46:14 UTC 2014

Thanks for sharing your perspective, Richard. Regarding OSM 'not being
too far ahead' of reality - I think we should think of OSM as being
part of defining that reality, rather than just following it.
Authoritativeness in its traditional sense is an eroding concept, and
with the quality of 'authoritative' data here in the U.S. being what
it is, we see folks turning to OSM (and other citizen generated
information sources) for information and answers. It has come to the
point where governments are actively seeking out the help of OSM to
keep their information current. This does perhaps not reflect the
reality in most of Europe, where well-funded public and semi-public
organizations for creating and maintaining geospatial information
exist. But it is our reality, and probably that of large parts of the
world. In that reality, I think OSM is instrumental in providing
people with the best information they can get. With regards to
trustworthiness (you allude to potentially dangerous situations
resulting from mapping proposed routes) I would argue that OSM not
only has the tools to alleviate those concerns, but also a maturing
audience of users who realize that they are using a community-built
information source. That is where I am coming from when I argue in
favor of mapping these routes, and I hope it clarifies my position.

Martijn

On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> Martijn van Exel wrote:
>> I would love to see these routes in OSM, and I think it's a shame
>> that there is such an ongoing fuss about it.
>
> May I gently offer some experience from n years of both mapping and
> developing National Cycle Network routes in the UK. (As well as being an
> OSMer I'm a regional group co-ordinator for Sustrans, the organisation that
> looks after and develops the NCN.)
>
> Generally in the UK we only map proposed NCN routes when
>    a) we have some personal knowledge of them, and
>    b) the route has a serious likelihood of being signposted in the next
> couple of years
>
> For example, I was happy to map NCN 442, our new route across the Cotswolds,
> as "proposed" because I knew very well that it was likely to open before
> long - not least because largely I identified the alignment and bid for the
> funding for it! And indeed it's now signposted and open:
> http://www.sustrans.org.uk/news/prime-minister-opens-new-section-national-cycle-network
>
> However, there are other proposed routes in the local area where there is no
> particular action underway at present to find funding or to fix issues
> identified with the route. For example, NCN 536 is a proposed route from
> Banbury (part of my patch) to Northampton, but: no funding has been
> identified, some physical works will be required before it can open, and the
> "flow" isn't currently deemed a priority. It's very unlikely indeed to open
> in the next two years, and consequently it isn't mapped on OSM.
>
> On occasion, mapping a proposed route can be actively dangerous and
> misleading. Sometimes a proposed NCN route will follow a busy road or rough
> terrain, or cross private land; fixing this will be one of the "to-dos"
> before the route can be opened. Showing it on a map, even as a dotted line,
> can encourage cyclists to venture into unsuitable conditions. (Yes, in
> theory "caveat emptor", but I have encountered people who have been misled
> by such proposed routes showing on a map.)
>

> Obviously you'll make your own decisions, but I'd encourage you to follow
> similar principles for the USBRS project. Or in summary: OSM can be a little
> way ahead of reality... but not too far ahead.
>
> cheers
> Richard
> (making a rare break from my not-posting-on-mailing-lists rule)
>

> --

Martijn van Exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com/
http://openstreetmap.us/