[Talk-us] exit_to vs destination

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Wed Jun 25 23:04:03 UTC 2014

Martin van Exel writes:
>Following the examples on the wiki, I think it should be fine to tag
>destination=Holt Rd on the motorway_link in this case:
>http://www.aaroads.com/midwest/indiana070/i-070_eb_exit_077_04.jpg -
>for example. Or am I getting that all wrong? The confusion arises
>partly from the strange terminology used on the wiki page like
>'uplinks' and 'downlinks' - I don't understand what those are.

I don't know for certain what "uplink" and "downlink" are either, but
based on their usage, I strongly suspect they are British English
words to respectively describe "onramp" and "offramp" (in US English).

BTW, "control city" is the name I have heard transportation/highway
engineers use to describe the name of a "destination" on a sign
telling you that if you continue (straight, either in this lane or
via this onramp) you "go here."

For example, around here, there are two ways to get north to San
Francisco:  either via the coastal route on Highway 1, or "over the
hill" (Santa Cruz mountains) via Highway 17, through Silicon Valley
and up the Peninsula.  For the former, the "control cities" listed on
highway overhead signs are:

Half Moon Bay
San Francisco

For the latter, they are:

San Jose
Oakland

(and then you interchange to I-280 to get from 17 to San Francisco,
otherwise you head to Oakland).

I'm not advocating that we change the destination tag to
control_city, just making an observation that might be helpful for
discussion purposes here in the USA.

SteveA
California