[Talk-us] exit_to vs destination

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Thu Jun 26 07:00:05 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-06-25 at 16:04 -0700, stevea wrote:
> Martin van Exel writes:
> >Following the examples on the wiki, I think it should be fine to tag
> >destination=Holt Rd on the motorway_link in this case:
> >http://www.aaroads.com/midwest/indiana070/i-070_eb_exit_077_04.jpg -
> >for example. Or am I getting that all wrong? The confusion arises
> >partly from the strange terminology used on the wiki page like
> >'uplinks' and 'downlinks' - I don't understand what those are.
>
> I don't know for certain what "uplink" and "downlink" are either, but
> based on their usage, I strongly suspect they are British English
> words to respectively describe "onramp" and "offramp" (in US English).

As a lurking Brit I thought I'd comment here. Uplink and downlink sound
like computer comms terms to me. In the UK we use the the term sliproad
for what you call ramps, hence on-slip/off-slip entry-slip/exit-slip are
commonly used. The word turn off is also used, but seems dated these
days.

HTH
Phil (trigpoint)