[Talk-us] Ghost Towns

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 15:28:41 UTC 2014

> Generally if a structure is gone, I would delete it.

yes, but it is mostly difficult to say "it is gone", because most cases
aren't that absolute then this. If you search for "Heuersdorf" in osm,
you'll only get a hit by "geonames" (SCNR).
http://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=Heuersdorf#map=13/51.1165/12.3976&layers=D

But (I think) the data alloyed into OSM's mind.
> So may be in *future*, you can see a landscape-animation. That would be
> funny.

yes, this is what I am also interested in. Have a look at OHM (open history
map), a branch of OSM. Unfortunately, as it stands now, you can't tell if
something is added to osm because
a) there was an error that got corrected
b) something was missing (in OSM) and now got inserted
c) the object is new in the real world and OSM caught up.
d)...

this could be modelled with changeset tags of course, but to make sense it
would require a lot of people using these tags and being disciplined in
structuring their edits into changesets.

cheers,
Martin