[Talk-us] State highway refs (was Re: New I.D Feature)

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Nov 30 03:03:46 UTC 2014

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 3:10 AM, Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at rushpost.com> wrote:

> So, a couple of questions:
>
> 1. What, exactly, is fair game to change to a state abbreviation
> reference?

Fair game nationwide, two letter state abbreviations should be used for the
primary state highway network.

> 2. Which states spell out the name in the ref?
> I know Kansas uses K-123, and Michigan uses M-123. Are there any others
> to be careful of?

Kansas should be KS 123, Michigan should be MI 123.

Ultimately, though, both should be part of route relations that describe
the route so we can quit adding ref=* to the incorrect entity (it's not the
way's ref, it's the route's!).