[Talk-us] Statistics of board candidate edits

Darrell Fuhriman darrell at garnix.org
Fri Oct 3 14:46:13 UTC 2014

> the  qualifications of someone on the board which sets direction for the
> local chapter, it is certainly useful to their experience as an OSM
> contributor in the US.
>
> Past a certain level of experience, the numbers lose value, but I wouldn't
> consider someone with only a few edits per year a good choice who would
> understand what's required to get the US map up to the level of those in
> countries with similar demographics.

I couldn’t disagree with this statement more. This is a simplistic, naïve, and exclusive definition of “understanding” that devalues other types of knowledge and contributions.

The OSM.us webpage says:

"We support the OpenStreetMap project in the United States through education, fostering awareness, ensuring broad availability of data, continuous quality improvement, and an active community.”

and

"We support OpenStreetMap by holding annual conferences, providing community resources, building partnerships, and by spreading the word.”

Nowhere in there does it say “making lots of edits”.

I can think of any number of skills that would be more valuable to the board in particular than skill in editing.

1) Fundraising
2) Community Outreach
3) Running Workshops
4) Conference Organizing
5) Grant Writing
6) Marketing
7) Volunteer Recruiting & Organizing

I could think of more.

In fact, I can’t think of a reason where number of edits made by a board member matters matters one iota.

Darrell