[Talk-us] Statistics of board candidate edits

Darrell Fuhriman darrell at garnix.org
Fri Oct 3 18:13:13 UTC 2014

On Oct 3, 2014, at 08:28, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:

>  It is just one lens through which one might view the candidates.

Sure, I get that. I’m just saying it’s at best a meaningless lens, and a misleading one at worst.

> Darrell, you say that you "can’t think of a reason where number of
> edits made by a board member matters matters one iota". I believe that
> Paul addresses that directly in his statement, "When considering the
> qualifications of someone on the board which sets direction for the
> local chapter, it is certainly useful to their experience as an OSM
> contributor in the US.”

Yes, he does, but I’m saying Paul’s wrong. There are many, many ways that someone could be experienced with OSM and a valuable contributor while never having made a single edit. I don’t see number of edits to be useful in the least, especially since it’s measuring something irrelevant to what a board member is actually expected to do.  See, for instance, Martijn’s excellent outline: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2014-September/013612.html

I don’t see anything in that description that required editing experience. (Relatedly, I’d be curious to see some of the TODO lists, but the github repo seems to be private.)

Darrell