[Talk-us] Fwd: Re: Vandalism

Charlotte Wolter techlady at techlady.com
Thu Oct 9 17:09:25 UTC 2014

Greg,

         I think the way to approach this is to
imagine what would produce the most successful outcome.
         If we want businesses to add themselves
to OpenStreetMap, then it's probably not going to
be helpful if we jump all over some naive person
who did something foolish (and, yes,
inappropriate) out of a desire to promote their
business. I think it is best to point out the
mistake with an attitude of helpfulness and
encouragement ("contact me any time you have a
question about OSM and keep mapping!").
         After all, real estate agents know a lot
about the built environment of their areas. They
also know addressing schemes because they have
to. So, it could be an advantage for OSM to
encourage this agent to keep mapping and to have
more real estate people involved.
         And, I am sure that the DWG does not want to see this issue.

Charlotte

>  h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to
>  :cc:content-type;
>  bh=Em0EIXihtvu6Twz2w4MWhjvZcZHzsnNnyRYB6+jh/G4=;
>  b=zMvzDYbxps2fd+HQr7BfDSK0M9d1eS5TuTwrFum589vUr/CXeTnNdoFd5vPEj8Uy7p
>  4hQogZbErtlMMQ2C+a6W8iOZUbWGTtKP091Q6CAagz3+PabPrU4uPktc0DhVNYRo6aay
>  utf/brlH0XN0ZFz9wTkYnST3b4tRLzyCK/VFqUA5JbUGiF4m2qgzrOydudoPOAe5/G3f
>  +t4XIwJ6s3ENA5mJO7zuwXwsIRZOdQo9H5CLcQZszt5p9gJyPlNmmJbyKtfmblA+KWIO
>  08GY6lTteIbY5pF6PNnREbhQGUSoL9tcJYgT+8yKSKFGzrzcYckGjas4l0g8tISL8xo+
>  7Gsw==
>Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 08:24:25 -0700
>From: Greg Morgan <dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com>
>To: Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org>
>Cc: Hans De Kryger <hans.dekryger13 at gmail.com>,
>  Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com>, "Shawn K. Quinn" <skquinn at rushpost.com>,
>  OpenStreetMap talk-us list <talk-us at openstreetmap.org>
>Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Vandalism
>tr=0 a=CoGJZMXjC9ZqYjZMN9F/3A==:117
>a=CRRwbcOFI+X/mpt5jVcafw==:17 a=ayC55rCoAAAA:8
>a=0oj8HZZGiqAA:10 a=nDghuxUhq_wA:10
>a=BLceEmwcHowA:10 a=wPDyFdB5xvgA:10
>a=xqWC_Br6kY4A:10 a=pGLkceISAAAA:8
>a=TZb1taSUAAAA:8 a=595fbENkAAAA:8
>a=1XWaLZrsAAAA:8 a=b4PE_LTqAAAA:8
>a=CLIU2iLmAAAA:8 a=JhiPbq5Ncdbc_whz1IQA:9
>a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=Zyuk-9MBs18A:10
>a=MSl-tDqOz04A:10 a=QMsjBSKT7LQA:10
>a=BdHZsLrCs2gA:10 a=FDfoUb2VCRyWvLG0bQMA:9
>a=BBQjdOiG7L-rZq-X:21 a=Oh4A9SA5_CyJWz607JUA:9
>a=1mqQPh2WKVcA:10 a=Rg0RHN00k_UA:10 a=3CP7XzAW9HEA:10
>
>I think this is still a question for the
>DWG.  I agree that it would be great to look at
>case from a positive perspective.  In that
>respect, It would have been great if they just
>added a poi for the business, address, etc
>However, when you look at the user page,
><http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Cheryl%20Daly>http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Cheryl%20Daly,
>then you see that it was all about
>advertisement.  Changing a street name to the
>person's name and business and using the change
>set description as yet another form of
>advertisement,
><http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/25304540>http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/25304540,
>then you see it was nothing more than vandalism.
>
>The map has been fixed. Perhaps the real
>question for DWG is should the person's bio
>page, the person's bio icon, and the change set
>description be scrubbed by the DWG?  Moreover,
>should the description say, "Removed because of
>vandalism." Â What do you think?
>
>Regards,
>Greg
>

>On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 1:31 AM, Paul Johnson
><<mailto:baloo at ursamundi.org>baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
>It happens sometimes.  Had a campground respond
>and ask if I'd be willing to detail map their property for them.
>
>On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 3:20 AM, Hans De Kryger
><<mailto:hans.dekryger13 at gmail.com>hans.dekryger13 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>I'll attempt to reach out. But it always seems
>that these one edit users never respond.

> [...]

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California
90403