[Talk-us] Dirt Roads (formerly: Abandoned railway)

Wolfgang Zenker wolfgang at lyxys.ka.sub.org
Mon Sep 1 13:59:40 UTC 2014

Hi,

* Mike N <niceman at att.net> [140901 14:45]:
> On 9/1/2014 7:53 AM, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
>> I think the other half of the equation, however, is actually getting this
>> fixed across the country. At present it appears to be just a small number of
>> mappers doing it in their areas;

>    To be honest, I don't really get the problem with excessive
> 'residential', or what I'd do to fix it.   If I had to study the roads
> where I live, a few would be upgraded to tertiary or changed to
> unclassified, and all unnamed residential would be changed to driveway,
> but the end result would have very few changes (with the exception of
> unnamed residential - which could be done with a bot).

I guess you haven't done much in the rural parts of the US yet. Have a
look at Lincoln County MT: You will find A LOT of tracks. Most of these
had been tagged as residential highway in the TIGER import (with horrible
distorted geometry of course), and no way could this have been fixed with
a bot. Took me about two years to get this county into the current state.

Wolfgang
(your friendly German Guest Mapper :-)