[Talk-us] Dirt Roads (formerly: Abandoned railway)

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Mon Sep 1 17:55:24 UTC 2014

>What would help here? A Tasking Manager instance with defined areas (say,
>10km x 10km, or counties, or...)? Anything else?

I like the idea of a TM to help here (like a cake map or somesuch),
but I'd rather we slice things up by county rather than (random, 10km
x 10km) grids.  Reason #1 is that there is a natural hierarchy, as
counties can be aggregated into states.  Reason #2 is that this will
naturally align to sharpening up USA county boundaries (which are
spotty in many places now).  Reason #3 is that much publicly
accessible GIS data is maintained and available at the county level,
or state level where counties are a "natural" way of breaking up the
data.

As I worked with another OSM volunteer on bringing in some landuse
data in Monterey County, California, I have done similar with what
were TIGER "residential" roads, but were really tracks in that
largely rural, agricultural county.  The landuse import took the two
of us around six or eight weeks of some careful work, but converting
TIGER residential to track (where true) took the better part of eight
MONTHS, the county being something like 2/3 the size of the state of
Connecticut.  It still isn't done, as the southeastern portion of the
county is very sparsely populated, has difficult access, and
comparisons of what Bing and TIGER display are often wildly
different.  But such results are worth the effort, imho.

Good topic, good discussion.

SteveA
California