[Talk-us] Prima Facie Speed Limits

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Sep 14 04:44:00 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 4:55 PM, Greg Morgan <dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder if 15 mph in a school zone and 25 mph in a residential area are
> some sort of federal standard?  The source tag might be useful but not much
> different than other states.

Not as far as I'm aware.  Oregon's school zones are always 20.  Oklahoma's
all over the place:  I've seen everything from 5 to 55, though the mode
seems to be 25.  Residential streets also have some spread, many small
towns are somewhere in the 10-20 range, with most of the big cities and
larger towns going with 25.  The mode, however, is 45, since the vast
majority of roads are not posted, and the default speed limit in most
counties, is 45 ("Entering Wagoner County / County Wide Speed Limit 45 MPH
unless otherwise posted") unless a more local jurisdiction overrides it
("SPEED LIMIT 25 unless otherwise posted within Cleveland," "SPEED LIMIT 25
on all residential streets unless otherwise posted in Bartlesville") and a
lot of smaller towns just plain don't bother with more than street names
and only enough stop signs to keep people from blindly running into the
highway through town (except maybe a two-way yield or two, most likely
where Chuck scratched up Billy's new pickup back in '98).