[Talk-us] TIGER 2014 update

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Sep 16 19:29:17 UTC 2014

On 9/16/14 3:13 PM, Mike N wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, I did a dumb "road name" comparison between
> TIGER 2013 and TIGER 2014 for the surrounding dozen counties.   I was
> surprised to find that my local county had a bunch of new roads added.
> So the TIGER data can get a major update for a reason other than the
> census workers traversing every street and finding a new street.  None
> of the other counties had new roads added though.
>
>   Since the new roads were flagged, I was able to bring them into OSM.
>  (All manually checked for connectivity, smoothing, etc).
the Census Bureau has been increasingly working
with local GIS departments, the result being that
there has been a lot of improvement in many regards.
it's always worthwhile to compare new TIGER with
older data; it's kind of impressive how rapidly new
developments pop up.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
  OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux