[Talk-us] NYC building details

Reilly, Colin creilly at doitt.nyc.gov
Thu Sep 18 15:12:16 UTC 2014

Not sure what the OSM standard for building geometries or if there is one. In the case of NYC, the buildings that were provided by NYC DoITT and imported to OSM were digitized using imagery of higher resolution than what is available to OSM editors (wish we could make the imagery available but unfortunately we cannot). In addition, the NYC buildings are digitized to the base of the building not to an upper recess.

We've seen editors modifying buildings to lower resolution imagery and to upper recesses. See example below where an editor changed the outline on the west side of the building to conform to an upper recess of the building. Would be nice to figure out a way to prevent degrading the fidelity of the building geometries or fixing on a standard. Apologies if there already is one.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/250052753/history

Colin Reilly
Director, Geographic Information Systems
New York City Department of
Information Technology & Telecommunications