[Talk-us] Merging NYC buildings

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 17:09:06 UTC 2014

> but if I survey it and it's one building, I will map it so.

Does this survey include the inside or will the judgement be based only on
the outside?

> In dense urban areas the edges of buildings can often only be determined
> by surveys, not by imagery, as the imagery only shows the roofs generally,
> and roofs may change appearance within a building or not change appearance
> between two adjacent buildings.

Typically there will be some kind of division in the roof because you have
to avoid fire going from one building to the other.
I think it is more probable that people will split one building into
several buildings than the other way round.

It may also not be very clear how many buildings there are in some cases,
e.g. when dealing with very old buildings (i.e. not built according to
modern prescriptions), sometimes you will have dependent buildings (you
can't tear down one building because the neighbour would fall as well
because it is leaning on the other building, something that today won't be
allowed under any jurisdiction I am aware of).

cheers,
Martin