[Talk-us] User going around adding '-' to ref tags in Michigan

Martijn van Exel martijn at openstreetmap.us
Fri Sep 26 16:57:08 UTC 2014

That is odd. Perhaps their thinking was that the ref information
should be captured in a relation and that they wanted to forcefully
deprecate the ref tag on the way? I checked for the I-75 example and a
relation with route info is in place for it:

This is not really appropriate since the main map rendering stylesheet
still takes ref tags from ways to paint the route number shields.
There is work underway to take that information from route relations
though: https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/596
- perhaps Paul can comment on how close that is to being complete.
Once that is in place, the ref on ways will lose its significance.

Martijn