[Talk-us] User going around adding '-' to ref tags in Michigan

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Sat Sep 27 03:40:58 UTC 2014

On 2014-09-26 12:28, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 1:32 PM, Paul Norman
> <penorman at mac.com
> <mailto:penorman at mac.com>> wrote:
>
>     I did do a screenshot, showing rendering in the Seattle area based
>     on route relations:
>     https://github.com/__gravitystorm/openstreetmap-__carto/issues/596#issuecomment-__57001666
>     <https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/596#issuecomment-57001666>
>

> This seems broken, especially places where multiple highway networks
> have ambiguous numbers in the same area (like I 110 and CA 110, which
> intersect, US 412 and OK 412P, which intersect, or US 64 and OK 364,
> which intersect (and I'm actually surprised OK 364 isn't I 644).  In
> much of the world, you really do need to include the shields for it to
> make any real sense.  Check out what Toby's got going on (link to
> Oklahoma County, which has full route relations):
> http://openstreetmap.us/~toby/shields.html#12/35.4969/-97.5682

Pictoral route shields are covered by
<https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/508>, but it
sounds much further off than the work on route relation support. If #596
ends up getting merged significantly before #508, we may end up with a
situation where individual mappers go off and add prefixes (and hyphens
even) to relation refs, which would be suboptimal.

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us