[Talk-us] User going around adding '-' to ref tags in Michigan

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Fri Sep 26 19:57:20 UTC 2014

On Sep 26, 2014, at 12:28 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:

> This seems broken, especially places where multiple highway networks have ambiguous numbers in the same area (like I 110 and CA 110, which intersect, US 412 and OK 412P, which intersect, or US 64 and OK 364, which intersect (and I'm actually surprised OK 364 isn't I 644).  In much of the world, you really do need to include the shields for it to make any real sense.  Check out what Toby's got going on (link to Oklahoma County, which has full route relations): http://openstreetmap.us/~toby/shields.html#12/35.4969/-97.5682

A bit off topic, but I think in California I 110 and CA 110 (and I 210 and CA 210) are, in CalTrans view the same highway. For example, there appears to be no distinction on their highway status page at http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi In either case you enter the number and it shows you condition status for the combined CA and Interstate segments. I think in these cases it is a matter of the level of federal funding and/or federal acceptance of the roads into the Interstate system. I suspect that CA 110 is too narrow and curvy to meet Interstate standards. Don't know what the story is with CA 210 as it is indistinguishable from any other LA metro area freeway.