[Talk-us] Moving historic railroad ways from OSM to OpenHistoricalMap

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 1 07:14:59 UTC 2015

Here in Kansas we have very many abandoned railways (and many pickup trucks
to replace them) that are turned into trails or paved over and still
visible. I would say if there is any sign of them left to keep the
information in some way.

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 1:12 AM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 12:36 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>
> wrote:
> > On 03/31/2015 08:04 AM, Natfoot wrote:
> >> There is so many situations where to his naked eye on the ground he may
> >> not be able to see it.  To a person like myself I can still find the
> >> signs on the earth of where the railroad once was.
> >
> > Then map the signs that *are*, but not the railroad which - as you
> > correctly say - once *was*.
> > Bye
> > Frederik
>
> For background, in the USA there is an intermediate step to
> abandonment.  A corridor can be "railbanked",
> meaning the easements don't expire.  It's not an active railway, but
> it can be returned to rail service
> via an administrative procedure.  And in fact, that's happened.
> Usually however these become trails,
> a process that can take decades.

James Michael DuPont
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://www.flossk.org