[Talk-us] Facts about the world

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Wed Apr 8 07:05:11 UTC 2015

Am 07.04.2015 um 16:51 schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer:

> is this something the OSMF lawyers have had a look into? Is the issue
> really "copyright" or is this about "trademark" (regarding the names
> "GR" "PR" etc.)? Currently it seems we are accepting what the Fédération
> Francaise de la Randonnée Pédestre claims, without questioning whether
> their claims hold up.

The wiki already explains: they hold a trademark for GR which makes
using the "official" names of the routes essentially impossible in and
for material they hold protection for and further they seem to claim
copyright on the routes themselves, which is not particularly far
fetched and can't be dismissed out of hand.

AFAIK the OSM FR has never asked for formal support in the matter, and I
very much doubt the OSMF would become active in the matter of its own
accord, except if directly approached by a rights holder and even then
the likely response is to delete questionable material. This doesn't
mean that the OSMF is completely inactive wrt such matters, for example
the LWG has been in contact and discussion with the WMF on freedom of
panorama issues.

> E.g. why can't you do a survey and publicly say:

You are requesting somebody to argue the case of Fédération
Francaise de la Randonnée Pédestre, which I would do, if they paid me :-).

> .......... Also, we are mapping roads and buildings, but the projects
> leading to these constructions are normally protected by copyright, and
> also a building can be protected (architectural work). None of these do
> stop us to map them in other fields, what is the particularity why GR
> cannot be mapped?

Because us mapping them has never been challenged? Particularly in the
case of 3d building models there is obviously potential for conflict,
which however has AFAIK never actually happened up to now.

Simon