[Talk-us] Am I doing this right? Houses w/ addresses

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sat Apr 11 15:48:15 UTC 2015

On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 7:47 AM, Steve Friedl <steve at unixwiz.net> wrote:

> I’ve been adding individualized house numbers to many houses in my
> neighborhood, and I’m just not sure this is how I’m supposed to do it
> because it just looks funky on the map.
>

> One area with 1 or 2-digit house numbers:
>

> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/33.68743/-117.66593&layers=N
>

> Another area with 5-digit house numbers:
>

> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/33.65699/-117.65517&layers=N
>

> Having the detailed address information in the database has to be useful,
> but this presentation with numbers scattered all over just doesn’t look
> right, so maybe I’m doing something wrong.
>

> Is this the way it’s supposed to be done?

I love seeing addresses being added. Thanks!!!

The house numbers look correct, although it isn't often you see single
digit house numbers. Adding addr:city and addr:postcode would be nice as
well. In JOSM you can select all of the houses to add addr:city and
addr:postcode at one time.

Rendering of house numbers is not pretty but it is what it is. Ideally they
either wouldn't be rendered or only at max zoom level.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us