[Talk-us] Help with OSM Presentation

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Apr 20 15:47:21 UTC 2015

On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 10:00 PM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us> wrote:
> I'm doing a presentation at Linuxfest Northwest in Bellingham, WA in hopes
> to gain new mappers. To help me with the presentation, I'd like to hear from
> you. Below are some questions - answer all or just a few.
>
> What about OSM surprised you most?
The amazing diversity in the interests of new contributors.  I meet
new OpenStreetMap contributors every month, and the interest that
brings them in to meet us differ widely.

> What is should I absolutely not leave out of the presentation?

1) "Go outside and survey your neighbourhood. There is nothing better
that you can do for OpenStreetMap, than behave as though you are
tending a shared garden."
2) Time for questions.  I have trouble with this because I like to talk. :-)
3) "It's Fun. It's Free. You can help."  One of the earliest tag lines
used in the project.  True then. true now.

For the Linuxfest audience, you might want to add something about the
hundreds (or thousands) of F/LOSS projects that intersect with the
OpenStreetMap project.  You certainly can't be expert about all of
them, or event list them, but the Linuxfest audience will want to be
reassured that they can probably find a library for their preferred
development environment.

Break a leg!