[Talk-us] Bike route relation issues

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sun Jan 11 16:02:13 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 7:27 AM, Kerry Irons <irons54vortex at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The key question here, it seems to me, is whether there is any “official”
> body that claims these sections of I-5 to be a bicycle route.  That might
> include bike clubs if indeed OSM decides to include “private routes” in the
> data base.  I am not aware if any group that would suggest I-5 for a bike
> route in Oregon.  If that is the case then it appears that this is simply
> someone claiming it to be a bike route by personal fiat.  That opens the
> door to a discussion had last year about people putting personal opinion
> into OSM and designating it as a bicycle route.  This seems to me to be a
> path to chaos but it is up to the OSM community to make that determination.

+1

I live in Washington State and have driven I5 a number of times. Just this
week I saw a bike on I5 for the first time I can remember. In Washington
State there is major annual bike rides from Seattle to Portland (STP) which
as far as I know does not use I5.
Oregon Department of Transportation publishes a bike map [1]. I5 is
included in any of their approved routes.

[1] http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/BIKEPED/pages/bike_map.aspx

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle