[Talk-us] Bike route relation issues

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Mon Jan 12 01:08:17 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 10:02 AM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>
wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 7:27 AM, Kerry Irons <irons54vortex at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The key question here, it seems to me, is whether there is any “official”
>> body that claims these sections of I-5 to be a bicycle route.  That might
>> include bike clubs if indeed OSM decides to include “private routes” in the
>> data base.  I am not aware if any group that would suggest I-5 for a bike
>> route in Oregon.  If that is the case then it appears that this is simply
>> someone claiming it to be a bike route by personal fiat.  That opens the
>> door to a discussion had last year about people putting personal opinion
>> into OSM and designating it as a bicycle route.  This seems to me to be a
>> path to chaos but it is up to the OSM community to make that determination.
>

> +1
>
> I live in Washington State and have driven I5 a number of times. Just this
> week I saw a bike on I5 for the first time I can remember.

That's rather scary, Cliff, and you *might* want to work on your
situational awareness...unless the weather is truly awful, you're bound to
pass at least 2 and up to a few dozen bicycles on I 5 between where they
come in from I 205 north of Vancouver to Exit 100 just shy of Olympia where
they have to get off and take alternate routes until Everett.