[Talk-us] Bike route relation issues

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Mon Jan 12 18:49:20 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 11:43 PM, John F. Eldredge <john at jfeldredge.com>
wrote:

>   By contrast, I am not aware of any Interstate highways in the southeast
> USA that allow bicycles. From my experience, every entrance ramp has signs
> forbidding non-motorized traffic and mopeds.

All the more reason to explicitly tag it, since it's explicitly posted.  Of
course, the bigger trick is finding the endpoints of that, since even in
states that do allow it (save for California), it's rare to get a "bicycles
on roadway" sign regularly (Oregon, Washington and Oklahoma usually only
post it once starting usually just before or at where bicycles first enter,
the corresponding sign the opposite direction would be "bikes must
exit/turn right/whatever" before and "no bicycles" after.  And they tend to
be hard to spot because for whatever reason, USDOT thinks bicyclists can
read fonts as tall as my thumb is thick while moving (which means
information dense signage such as found in Portland for it's LCNs is next
to useless without stopping in traffic), so all bicycle signage tends to be
in the finest print possible, even on the freeway...