[Talk-us] GNIS POI populations

Wolfgang Zenker wolfgang at lyxys.ka.sub.org
Tue Jan 13 20:29:47 UTC 2015

* Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> [150113 19:50]:
> Minh Nguyen wrote:
>> I think we should consider a mechanical edit to update these tags

> While you're thinking about GNIS mechanical edits, could I suggest one for
> GNIS-sourced POIs with "(historical)" in the name?

> There are several gazillion amenity=post_office, name=Fred Creek Post Office
> (historical) in the database. Clearly these aren't actually post offices any
> more. Ideally I guess they should be disused:amenity=post_office, or
> historic:amenity, or something.

> https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Aopenstreetmap.org+gnis+historical&gws_rd=ssl

> I'd do it myself but this is about the one area where you _do_ need JOSM
> rather than P2. ;)

In Montana I have removed rather than changed these POIs, as they definitely
no longer existed before the GNIS import. Removing these for all of the US
would be a good thing, especially for hospitals. We definitely don't want
people in an emergency to end up in the middle of an empty field because
they followed their navigation device to Podunk Hospital (historical).

Checking the other POIs if they have been changed to (historical) status
since the import might also be a good idea.

Wolfgang