[Talk-us] GNIS POI populations

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Wed Jan 28 19:40:46 UTC 2015

On 2015-01-28 07:52, Simon Poole wrote:
> According to overpass turbo there is the small number of 394 such nodes
> (historical hospitals) remaining in the US (excluding Alaska and
> Hawaii). Given that this is bad data that actually might have disastrous
> consequences, I would suggest that fixing these (and other GNIS junk
> that might be misleading) has a slightly higher priority than updating
> population numbers.

Eventually we'll have to review every hospital imported from GNIS.
Since the GNIS data was collected, lots of hospitals in smaller towns
have been closed or turned into outpatient facilities, with emergency
services being consolidated into a regional facility. According to the
wiki, amenity=hospital doesn't imply emergency=yes, but I wonder if that
nuance is made clear in any OSM clients.

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us