[Talk-us] README tag with editor support

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Thu Jun 11 17:41:16 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-06-11 at 13:27 -0400, Richard Welty wrote:
> so i have two things in mind here:
>
> 1) formalize the README tag as a way to caution future mappers
>
> 2) request editor support, when someone goes to change a
> README tagged entity, it would be nice if editors would popup
> a dialog saying something along the lines of
>
> Warning: read the following before making any changes to this
> object <README text follows>

The only improvement I can suggest is to add an optional but recommended
README:date with a date in ISO 8601 format, or some other way of dating
the README tag on an object. We should also work on standardizing a way
of date-stamping imagery going forward; as stated elsewhere Bing does
this already, but Bing is not the alpha and omega of aerial photography.

Another possibility that goes along with this would be for editors to
support highlighting cases where the changes are known to post-date the
aerial photography by a significant amount of time. Also, I don't see
anything in the terms of use for Bing's imagery that prohibit us from
marking specific tiles as out-of-date based on our data. Did I miss
something?