[Talk-us] cycle.travel US bike routing, and unreviewed rural TIGER

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Sun Jun 14 18:15:33 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-13 17:08, Harald Kliems wrote:
> Very nice, Richard! One quick comment: I might not be the only who
> doesn't always change the tiger:reviewed tag when fixing TIGER-imported
> roads. I don't know if that's technically feasible, but maybe it would
> be better to check if a way has been modified since import, independent
> of the tiger:reviewed tag. I guess you could assign those a slightly
> lower priority than the ones that have tiger:reviewed=yes.

You aren't alone. I stopped bothering with tiger:reviewed tags back in
the Potlatch 1 days. It just isn't a well-designed tag:

- not very discoverable to mappers who weren't around in 2008
- not automatic enough
- doesn't say whether the names, classification, or geometry was
reviewed, or whether the review covered the entire way

I think we generally treat tiger:* tags as cruft these days. (I
sometimes use tiger:name_* in cleaning up erroneously merged ways or
ways lossily "unduplicated" along county lines, but that's about it.)

On the other hand, ways without tiger:reviewed tags are more likely to
have been entered by hand or rigorously reviewed, so it does make sense
to reward such ways. But I think it'd be unfortunate to totally discount
tiger:reviewed=no ways.

FWIW, I also leave a lot of usable paved roads as highway=residential in
rural areas, but there are plenty of considerations that vary from
region to region (even within a state).