[Talk-us] a plea to armchair mappers

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Sun Jun 14 18:27:34 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-11 06:42, Richard Welty wrote:
> please, please when doing the armchair mapping thing, be aware
> that aerial imagery may be several years out of date.
>
> yesterday i discovered that a highway reconfiguration i'd mapped
> in Rensselaer, NY had been realigned with the out-of-date bing
> aerial imagery. i was able to locate my GPX tracks and put it back,
> but i still had to revisit the site to re-verify some connecting roads.
>
> i had even put a README tag on the roads warning that the
> imagery was out of date, but the armchair mapper didn't bother
> to, you know, read the README.

With both outdated imagery and the Ohio River [1], I've had better luck
placing redundant `note` tags on every way that such a mapper would be
inclined to delete. iD shows `note` in a big box in the sidebar. It's a
bit harder to miss than a (heretofore) ad-hoc tag that would be
relegated to the All Tags section. Potlatch 2 doesn't support anything
like it, unfortunately.

If it gets really bad, you could try spelling out "DO NOT ERASE" in
aerialway=contrail ways. :-P

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Ohio_River

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us