[Talk-us] a plea to armchair mappers

Martijn van Exel martijnv at telenav.com
Thu Jun 18 22:10:12 UTC 2015

> On Jun 14, 2015, at 12:48 PM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net> wrote:
>
> secondarily, if it is indeed the case that this is mostly happening
> because of paid mappers (i don't know that for a fact), can we
> please contact who ever is supervising the paid mappers and
> discuss whether their training program and standards could
> be improved?

That would be me :)

The folks at Telenav who do mapping as part of their job are urgently aware that they need to treat local knowledge with the utmost respect and care, and that Bing (and any) imagery is to be used with caution. When in doubt, we try to compare against other imagery sources, and State / local GIS data. If that does not give us something definitive, we don’t touch the situation, or leave an OSM note [1].

Also, mapping for the United States is exclusively done by folks who live in the United States and therefore a) are familiar at a general level with road layout / signage etc. in the US and b) are able to connect easily with the local community / individual mappers.

As always, if you find any issue with mapping done by one of our folks, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with them, or me.

Martijn

[1] see for example notes by Kristen (who has participated in this thread already)  http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/KristenK/notes